Have you ever wondered whether speaking up really matters? Have you ever questioned whether taking a stand against something in your workplace or community really makes a difference? Or whether the mobilizing efforts you participate in really have an impact? Have you been searching for something to inspire you? For a place to go where you can see what others are doing? To be part of something?
You found the right place! Welcome to Demand the Change, Change of Heart. You are now one step closer to creating positive change in your life, community, and the world around you. This is where you will be able to find stories about people like you who have been able to Demand the Change or have a Change of Heart, hear from others who are working on the front lines of prevention efforts, and learn about other ways you can join the movement to end sexual violence.
To advance prevention efforts in Minnesota, the Minnesota Coalition Against Sexual Assault recognizes that we need:
- Tools to assist others in mobilization.
- A theme to mobilize around.
- To give voice to the “outrage.”
- A way to challenge normalization and the numbness of “just the way it is.”
We need to work together and build a movement. We need a movement building initiative.
Through the Minnesota Summit to Prevent Sexual Violence and the Roundtables to Advance Prevention of Sexual Violence in Minnesota, we learned that participants across a wide range of sectors asked for the “it” – what “it” is that we are asking them to do. We know prevention of child sexual abuse & exploitation and all types of sexual violence throughout the lifespan is complex – it is not one “it.” Still, we needed a doable action – an “it” that can:
- Challenge demand for children and women as sexual commodities – “things for others sexual use”
- Ignite the political will and individual courage to take action against unhealthy social & gender norms, commoditization of sexuality and ‘acceptance’ of the endemic of sexual harms
- Mobilize for equality, social justice, our collective sexual health – an investment in prevention
So, MNCASA decided to launch
- Instead of being lulled into the acceptance of the inequity or the injustice, we can demand the change.
- Instead of accepting that the problem is too big to do anything about, we can demand the change.
- Instead of sinking into an ocean of overwhelm, we can demand the change.
- When I see or hear ____, I know it is time to be a champion for prevention to use what I know and what I feel to inspire a change of Heart !
MNCASA is being a catalyst for people in Minnesota to demand a change, change of heart. MNCASA does not agree that child sexual abuse will always be here, because it always has been; we believe that we can create the fundamental social change needed so that child sexual abuse becomes history. We cannot continue to only intervene and prop up response systems. We must commit to ending the abuse before it begins.
Please take a look around, send us your stories, and invite others to join us to Demand the Change.